Monitor 4 / 4EC Survey Meter
The MONITOR 4 and MONITOR 4EC are compact, general purpose survey meters capable of detecting alpha, beta, gamma, and x-rays over 3 selectable ranges. A red count light flashes and a beep sounds with each event detected. The Monitor 4EC offers a more accurate linear reading for gamma and x-rays (above 40 keV).
- Monitor 4: Halogen-quenched uncompensated GM tube with thin mica window 1.5-2.0 mg/cm2 thick.
- Monitor 4EC: Halogen-quenched GM tube, energy compensated sidewall 2mm tin filter. Thin mica window 1.5-2.0 mg/cm2 thick.
- Monitor 4 Energy Sensitivity: Detects alpha down to 2.5 MeV; typical detection efficiency at 3.6 MeV is greater than 80%. * Detects beta at 50 keV with typical 35% detection efficiency. * Detects beta at 150 keV with 75% typical detection efficiency.
- Detects gamma and x-rays down to 10 keV typical through the window, 40 keV minimum through the sidewall of the detector. Normal background is approximately 10-20 CPM.
- Gamma Sensitivity: 1000 CPM/mR/hr
- Monitor 4EC Energy Sensitivity Same as Monitor 4 except: The energy response for gamma and x-rays through the detector sidewall is flat within +61% or -26% over the range of 40 keV to 100 keV, and within +35% or -17% over the range of 100 keV to 1.3 MeV (referenced to Cs-137)
- Range Switch: X1, X10, X100, Battery Check.
- Operating Range: 0-.5, 0-5, 0-50 mR/hr and 0-500, 0-5,000, 0-50,000 CPM
- Accuracy: ±10% of full scale (referenced to Cs-137).
- Audio Indicator: Internally mounted beeper (can be switched off for silent operation).
- Anti-Saturation: Meter will hold at full scale in fields as high as 100 times the maximum reading.
- Power Requirements: One 9-volt alkaline battery. Battery life is up to 2,000 hours at normal background radiation levels.
- Temperature Range: -20° C to 55° C (-4° F to 131° F).
- Weight of the Monitor 4: 178 grams (6.3 oz.) without battery
- Weight of the Monitor 4EC: 198.1 grams (7 oz.) without battery
- Size: 145 x 72 x 38 mm (5.7 x 2.8 x 1.5 inches).
- Includes: Carrying Case, 1 year limited warranty, and CE mark
- Options: Belt Clip
Detection of Entrapped Moisture
The MCM -2 Hydrotector® non-destructive, moisture measurement gauge is designed for quick determination of water content in the thermal insulation of pipes and vessels at chemical and petrochemical plants. Designed as a screening tool to rapidly locate areas of trapped moisture, the MCM-2 works well in conjunction with corrosion detection equipment to quickly detect areas where corrosion under insulation (CUI) is highly probable.
- Fast and easy to use; allows thousands of feet of insulated pipe to be tested in a day.
- Designed for maximum accessibility in hard-to-reach areas.
- Newly redesigned telescopic pole allows for testing distances of 10+ feet with an easy to replace cable assembly.
- Using the RS-2332 C serial interface, the data can be quickly uploaded onto a computer or printer.
- Evaluate insulated tanks and vessels quickly for potential corrosion problems.
- Investigate insulated pipe for elevated concentrations of moisture to identify areas for corrosion inspection.
- Quickly detect levels in containment vessels.
503 ELITE Hydroprobe
Irrigation Water Management
The 503 ELITE Hydroprobe is a subsurface, accurate neutron probe designed to measure soil moisture. The Hyrdoprobe is an industry standard in soil management. It is the ultimate aid in irrigation scheduling, agronomic research, and environmental monitoring.
The new probe offers a rugged and lightweight design easier than ever to operate. It has a large 40 character LCD screen and 12 button layout to navigate through the innovative software features. The software now allows labeling products and making notes on specific jobs with the alphanumeric keypad. Project data can now be downloaded to a USB Flash Drive or downloaded straight to the computer using a USB download cable. The internal SD storage card gives you the ability to save up to 10,000 tests and store 32 calibrations.
The updated design replaces the old heavy alkaline batteries with new a nickel metal hydride battery pack that gives give hundreds of hours of field operation between charges and takes only 4 hours to fully charge the probe.
- Backlit 4 X 20 LCD display with 9mm characters for maximum visibility
- Multi-language options – English, Spanish, French & German
- New, long-lasting nickel metal hydride battery pack
- Upgraded, redesigned electronics make the 503 Elite more user-friendly
- Data transfer to PC via USB Drive or data cable
- Internal SD card provides storage for over 10,000 test readings
- Storage and recall of 32 linear calibrations w/multiple tubing types and varying soil conditions
- Software updates will be available through the USB port
- Options allow operator to select: time of test, units of measurement and logging format
- Lightweight and water resistant
Rapid Asphalt Drying System
ASTM D7227 & AASHTO R79
Patents #8225526, 8408013, 9702626
CoreDry is an automatic system for rapid drying of material samples and objects. Use this device to remove moisture from your sample in minutes. The amount of moisture removed allows the users to determine moisture content in aggregates, core samples, gyratory samples, loose mixtures, pc boards, wood chips, pulp, loose paper and many other materials. Dry weight can also be used for determination of density of objects in laboratory and field sites. Why wait hours or days for drying with fans and ovens when you can dry your samples in minutes with CoreDry. This system utilizes high vacuum technology and the PumpSaver™ for rapid and safe drying of material samples and objects. The samples stay cool during drying, which preserves the sample composition. With CoreDry, you get the same accurate dry weight as using the oven without degrading or changing the sample characteristics.
The Ultimate Control for Your Rice Test
Controls and monitors Rice test (AASHTO T209 & ASTM 2041)
Automates saturation process for AASHTO T283 (Moisture damage)
InstroTek’s NEW AutoRice is an automatic control unit allowing laboratory technicians to conduct Maximum Specific Gravity tests with the press of a button. Designed to accurately control and monitor the vacuum pressure, vacuum time and shaker vibration frequency, AutoRice ensures more consistent inter-laboratory repeatability and accuracy. The AutoRice will start the vacuum pump, regulate the vacuum pressure, precisely control the vacuum time and monitor the shaker frequency. Currently, the AutoRice acceleration monitor and shaker frequency is a parameter that is not monitored during the test. Data from the Rice test can be downloaded via the USB port, where results can be reviewed to assure accuracy and adherence to test specifications. The unique, compact design allows AutoRice to fit on the benchtop or mount to a wall and works with glass flasks and metal container setups.
- Controls and monitors Rice test (AASHTO T209 & ASTM 2041) vacuum pressure and vacuum time
- Reduces operator errors by automating test parameters; improving accuracy and repeatability
- Measures shaking frequency and acceleration to prevent stripping damage to the sample
- Automates saturation process for AASHTO T283 (moisture damage)
- Provides capability to enter weights and calculate max specific gravity results
- Replaces digital vacuum gauge used in Rice setup
- Stores test records (vacuum pressure, vacuum time, frequency and acceleration)
- Test data can be shared and emailed for review
- Easy setup with menu driven software
The Future of Moisture Sensitivity Testing
U.S. Patents #8,020,451 – #6,799,471 – #8,312,776
M.i.S.T. (Moisture Induced Stress Tester) is designed as a totally new, quick and logical method for testing moisture damage susceptibility of asphalt mixtures. The M.i.S.T. is the latest innovation from InstroTek and unlike current test methods, is designed to simulate the stripping mechanisms that occur in HMA pavement layers.
For years, roadway engineers and asphalt contractors have been searching for a better method to test for “stripping” or “raveling,” which is the loss of bond or cohesion between aggregate and asphalt binder. Current test methods can take days to complete and are not conducive to a production quality control environment. Results also vary widely due to the lack of controls over the degree of saturation and temperature. More importantly, current test methods do not replicate the dynamics of pore pressure and scouring created in the field by vehicle tires passing over wet pavement.
The InstroTek, Inc. M.i.S.T. is a cyclic conditioning system that is designed to simulate the stripping mechanisms that occur in HMA pavement layers. The M.i.S.T. is a stand alone unit that consists of a pressurized chamber that pushes and pulls water through a compacted asphalt sample, simulating the action of an automobile tire on the road. The tests can be performed at different pressures and temperatures to replicate different traffic and environmental conditions. The unit is completely automatic and results are ready in as little as four hours. Simply place your asphalt core sample in the M.i.S.T. testing chamber, select your test parameters, press start and the unit does the rest. Upon completion of the test, the asphalt core is taken out of the testing chamber and evaluated for susceptibility to moisture damage.
- Designed to simulate HMA pavement stripping mechanisms.
- Shorter test times than current moisture sensitivity tests. Results in less than one day.
- Tests can be performed at realistic pressures similar to pressures produced by vehicle tires.
- Testing is automatic and monitored by sensors.
- Data can be stored and transferred to a PC for evaluation and archiving.
- Weight: 159kg / 350lbs
- Height: 1.35m / 53″
- Foot Print: 0.53 x 0.53m / 21 x 21″
- Power: 115 VAC 20A (optional 230 VAC 10A)
SmarTracker™ Hamburg Wheel
Hamburg Wheel Tracker
US Patent No. 9964,471
Intelligently designed with the end-user in mind, the new InstroTek SmarTracker™ offers several unique features that make testing safer, easier and more accurate than existing more expensive wheel tracking systems.
The SmarTracker meets all requirements and recommendations of NCHRP 20-07 Project 361. Its retractable wheel system makes it easy to load and unload samples without lifting heavy wheel assemblies. The repetitive lifting and lowering of heavy wheels can be awkward and cause strain on the upper and lower back of the user. The SmarTracker ’s wheels simply slide back into the starting position making removal of the samples from the testing trays simple and easy.
The SmarTracker can also perform both wet and dry tests simultaneously. The innovative water circulation system and two tank design allow for one sample to be submerged in water while the other sample stays dry. Tank and air heaters keep water and air temperatures constant during testing. The electrical components are located away from water and moisture to protect against damage.
Other innovative features include an independent motor wheel drive system for better control and individual operation of each wheel, a compact design for small labs where space is at a premium and rugged components for long product life.
- Meets and exceeds AASHTO T-324
- Meets all requirements and recommendations of NCHRP 20-07 Project 361
- Innovative wheel roll-off mechanism does not require special tools or lifting of heavy wheel assemblies to remove samples after each test
- Each wheel is driven by an independent motor for more accurate tests results
- Small footprint to accommodate small construction labs
- Touch-screen controls based on Windows® operating system for user-friendly execution of tests, management of data and visualization of test results
- Fully automatic; test stops when rut depth is reached
- Rugged design to withstand harsh construction laboratory environment
- Hood keeps water and air temperatures constant and moisture away from electrical components
This new SMART approach to Loaded Wheel Testing offers the flexibility, safety and ease of use that asphalt laboratories require. The SmarTracker is now available through InstroTek, the leader in innovative product development. For more information, please call any of our 5 locations in the United States or fill out a quote request at the top of the page.
eDry™ Asphalt Emulsion Dryer
The Quickest Nondestructive Method for Emulsion Drying
The NEW eDry Upgrade Kit for the InstroTek CoreDry is the quickest and most effective method for drying asphalt emulsions. In less than 30 minutes, the CoreDry eDry Emulsion Kit can be used to dry up to 5 grams of asphalt emulsions. The CoreDry’s patented vacuum technology allows pavement engineers to quickly determine the appropriate binder content and application rates while retaining the rheological properties of the binder.
Alternative methods like ASTM 6934 subject the emulsion to high temperatures thereby changing the characteristic of the residual binder. Lower temperature options like ASTM D7497 wont harm the sample, but take several steps and can last over 48 hours.
The eDry method combines the best of both worlds and provides a fast and nondestructive method for asphalt emulsion drying. The eDry methods works on any type of emulsions including slurry seals, tack coats, fog seals, and chip seals. FTIR and DSR tests performed on both the eDry and ASTM D7497 (low temperature) samples prove that the eDry method retains all the rheological properties of the binder while offering the quickest drying times. The new eDry method from InstroTek is simple, fast and effective.
• Does not change or affect the rheological properties of the binder
• Dries emulsions in approximate 30 minutes
• Dries up to 5 grams of asphalt emulsion
• No dependent on emulsion type or additives
• Process is completely automatic
• Not dependent on emulsion type or additives
Predict Passing TSR Values Quickly
The Asphalt Compatibility Tester (ACT) is a fast, straightforward method to evaluate adhesion properties of asphalt binder and aggregates in the mixture. This test uses LED light and detection system to measure color change that may occur as a result of ASTM D 3625 (Boil Test Method). The Boil Test is an established test method that many state agencies require to quickly measure the adhesion strength of the asphalt binder to the aggregate surface. Currently, percent binder loss was determined visually by an operator. Visual inspection is inaccurate and subjective. The InstroTek ACT reports a binder Loss Index value (L*) that is independent of operator judgment. Simply load the mixture, place the detection system on the sample and get your results in seconds.
The ACT uses light reflection from the surface of the asphalt mixture to measure and quantify the color change of the asphalt mixture. The ACT quantifies the loss of asphalt binder without the need for visual inspection or technical judgment calls. Studies have shown there is a strong correlation between ACT results and AASHTO T283 indirect tensile strength ratio (TSR) values. The ACT can be calibrated to predict passing TSR value and allow users to evaluate the effects of gradation changes at the plant, changes in asphalt formulation and other variations in the mix design that could affect TSR values.
The ACT is simple to use, takes only minutes to set-up and is completely automatic. To perform a test, simply add the sample to the provided testing tray, place the detector (light sensor) on top of the sample and press start. The ACT evaluates the mixture in seconds and displays the Color Index value on the screen. Data can be stored and reviewed for further analysis.
Now, asphalt practitioners have a fast, simple and effective tool to determine adhesion compatibility of mixtures and the effect of binder formulation and anti-strip additives on TSR values.
Fast and simple way to perform your SCB tests
Meets TP124 (I-FIT), ASTM D8044 (LSU method) and IDEAL-CT (TTI Method)
InstroTek’s NEW Auto_SCB is a precise and versatile device for conducting mechanical testing of asphalt mixtures at a fraction of the cost. Able to run various versions of Semi-Circular Bend (SCB) test, Auto_SCB helps pavement designers and maintenance practitioners predict the cracking potential, performance and ductility of asphalt mixtures.
The extremely universal and automatic Auto_SCB is capable of running several other performance tests with user-friendly programmable features. The touch screen display and intuitive controls allows for rapidly setting new test parameters and monitoring test data in real time. Auto_SCB can accommodate a wide range of test accessories to run asphalt performance tests such as IDT strength and IDT creep compliance and is able to operate in load-control and displacement-control modes.
Now Engineers and Researchers alike have a new and cost effective tool for improving the performance of asphalt mixtures.
NCAT Asphalt Content Furnace
The most reliable asphalt content ignition furnace with a proven track record
ASTM D6307, AASHTO T308
Thermo Scientific NCAT asphalt content furnace accommodates larger sample testing, which reduces labor and costs.
The Thermo Scientific NCAT Asphalt Content Furnace saves time and money by using an environmentally friendly, cost-effective ignition method to determine asphalt content. Ignition method replaces the costly and time consuming solvent extraction method by eliminating the cost of solvent and can pay for the cost of the furnace in as little as 26-32 weeks based on solvent cost savings alone
The Thermo Scientific NCAT Asphalt Content Furnace, developed in conjunction with the National Center for Asphalt Technology (NCAT), set the industry standard for determining asphalt content by the ignition method. This system was integral to the drafting and passage of ASTM D6307 and AASHTO T308. A 12-lab roundrobin field test was conducted by NCAT exclusively with this furnace. Results and proven performance are documented by NCAT.
- Asphalt content of bituminous paving mixtures is accurate to 0.11%
- Accommodates samples up to 5000g
- Automatic mode: endpoint is detected and software ends the test, prints the results and beeps until STOP is pressed to unlock door (in accordance with AMRL specifications)
- Manual mode: endpoint is detected and furnace begins to beep but continues to test until STOP is pressed to unlock door, then and results print
- Furnace software automatically compensates for weight change due to sample and basket assembly temperature change
- 24-hour/7-day timer can be programmed to preheat furnace
- RS-232 port provides data interface with a PC for graphical data analysis
Laboratory Sifter – The original “Mary Ann®” Sifter
Laboratory Sifter – The original “Mary Ann ®” Sifter
- Handles both 8″ & 12″ sieves
- Sifter accepts pan, six 12″ diameter x 3″ high or ten 8″ diameter x 2″ high standard laboratory sieves
- Rapid sieving
- Minimal sieve wear
- Easy sieve cleaning
- 0-999 minute digital timer
- Quiet operation
- Negligible sample degradation
- No need for inconvenient sieve clamps
- The door can be placed to open from either side
- Handy sieve rack integrated into the stand
- Available in 115v or 220v versions
Proctor Soil Compactor
Soil Compactor with Digital Counter
- Performs Proctor, Modified Proctor, LBR, and CBR
- Compatible with interchangeable molds and hammers
- Capable of quick change 12″ and 18″ hammer drops
- Adjusts to specimen elevations so each drop is from the specified height
- ASTM D698,1557— ASHTO T99, T180
- Mold not included
Soil Compaction Analyzer
The SCA is designed to be mounted on the Rainhart 662 Soil Compactor. The SCA uses the rapid sampling of the rammer’s position during operation the SCA is able to determine the impact velocity achieved per blow. Using this velocity and the known mass of the rammer the energy delivered to the specimen is determined.
- TxDOT Test Method Tex-113-E
- Sensor & Sensor Frame
- Mounting Hardware
- Computer with SCA Software
- Data Acquisition/Control Box
- Emergency Stop
- All Necessary Cables
Wet Ball Mill
Allows testing for the ability of the aggregates to withstand degradation in the road base and to detect soft aggregate that may be subject to weathering
- Includes two steel balls and digital counter
Power Assisted Sample Extruder
Powered Sample Extruder
- 7000 lbs. capacity with 14 in stroke handles
- Will easily and rapidly extract compacted specimens from 4 inch molds of 4 1/2 inch diameter and from 6 inch molds of 6 1/2 inch & 6 3/4 inch outside diameter.
- Molds can be up to 12 inch high
- Loading frame can be adjusted to accommodate different height molds
- Unit can be used with porous stones if required
- Adjustable index pins for repetitive mold centering
- Hydraulic 130V, 60Hz, 8 amp pump provides power for rapid extraction
- Unit has a dead man switch and a thermally protected 1/2 hp. motor
Langley Fine Aggregate Specific Gravity De-Airing Device
Langley Fine Aggregate Specific Gravity De-Airing Device
- Digital timer for repeatability
- Eliminates variances in test results due to technician inconsistencies
- Frees up lab technicians for other duties
- For use with 500 ml volumetric flask
- For use per ASTM C 128-93 and AASHTO T84
Concrete Beam Breaker
The Beam Breaker is designed to determine the flexural strength of concrete beams with a third point loading
- Load capacity of 12,000 lbs (1,000 psi)
- Plots on 8″ diameter chart paper
- ASTM C78
- Optional single point loading head available.
The Rainhart Texas Gyratory compacts bituminous mixtures into 4″ diameter specimens.
- ASTM D4013